Biohazard and Sewage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Biohazard contaminants can pose serious health risks and should be avoided as they can be extremely dangerous. Biohazard scenarios include things that some might not consider, like flood water and sewer backups which are the two most common scenarios. It is important to put safety first if a disaster like this has affected your home or business. If you believe a biohazard contaminant may be present on your property, do not come in contact with it. Our team of professionals at SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna use protective gear, specialized equipment, and excellent training to safely remove, clean, and restore this type of dangerous contamination.
Need Biohazard Cleanup? Call Us Today – (507) 200-3700
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna has water damage restoration specialists and has specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Eagle Lake
- New Richland