Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Black Mold in Ellendale, Eagle Lake, and Mapleton
Understanding mold in Ellendale and Eagle Lake
Most of us have heard stories about the dangers of “black mold” and the health effects they can cause. These stories can mislead people to believe that other types of mold are less dangerous, but this is not the case. All types of mold can cause produce allergy symptoms and other mold exposure symptoms. If you believe you have a mold problem, black mold or not, in North Mankato, Eagle Lake, New Richland, Mapleton, Amboy, Ellendale, or Pemberton, contact SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna right away.
Learn more about black mold at SERVPROmankatoowatonna.com/black-mold
When you’ve discovered mold in your home or business, it is also important to understand the difference between mold removal and mold remediation. Since microscopic mold spores exist naturally almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors, removing all mold from a home or business is impossible. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold. This is a fallacy. A qualified restoration company understands the science behind mold and mold growth. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals have the training and expertise to remediate the mold in your home or business. Mold remediation focuses on getting mold levels back to normal, natural levels.
Learn more about mold removal versus mold remediation at SERVPROmankatoowatonna.com/mold-removal
SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna understands mold and how to manage it. If you’re looking for a mold removal company, our team of experts are the mold remediation specialists you need. With extensive training and specialized equipment, our team is highly qualified to effectively manage your mold problem.
Mold Hides in Mysterious Places
Hidden Mold Problems Discovered
Mold is no friend of yours and SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna is on your side when it comes to detecting and defeating mold. While it doesn't appear you have mold on the outside of your wall, it can certainly lurk in areas you wouldn't otherwise see or find.
This Ellendale Minnesota home had a small leak behind the kitchen sink. The homeowner was experiencing health allergies. After some research of their own they learned it was due to mold.
SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna was called out to do moisture checking through out the entire home and it was discovered a small leak behind the kitchen cabinet was the result of the mold allergen. It didn't appear to have a large amount of mold growth on the outside until the wet sheet rock was pulled from the wall.
Mold grows rapidly and can cause health concerns. If you're experiencing an allergic reaction it is always a good idea to get your home tested for mold growth.
Additional information on mold toxicity can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/mold/stachy.htm
Watch Out For Mold In Your Owatonna Home
SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna Cities
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has guidelines about mold. SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna Cities would like to share these guidelines.
Question- What Causes Mold to Grow:
- Protein-Protein is in building materials like drywall
- It is also in wood and in many paint
- Skin cells (we shed them all the time
- Dog and cat dander
How to identify mold:
- Only a licensed professional can identify what kind of mold you have. SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna Cities does not identify mold types
- You need to know what kind of mold you have
How to eliminate a mold problem AFTER an inspector has identified the type of mold
- Call a licensed professional. SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna Cities is licensed in mold remediation. We know how to clean up the different mold types
- Be aware, there can be much more mold than you see. Mold spores are tiny
- Without proper training, equipment, and safety measures, you should NOT try to resolve the problem yourself
Storm Damage Can Cause Mold in Mankato / Owatonna Cities
SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna
Mold grows out of tiny spores. Spores are tough enough to survive indoors or outdoors in harsh conditions. Spores can survive for years. Scientists have found ancient mold spores that could grow into mold.
Standing water and moisture can lead to mold growing in your home. Mold does not need visible water to grow. Humidity inside the home is enough. Small amounts of water vapor can help mold grow.
SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna Cities knows that storm or flood damage can allow the mold spores to open up. Any dampness can lead to mold.
SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna Cities can remediate mold that grows on:
- Crawl spaces
- Anywhere in your home or business
To treat mold correctly, it is criticially important to first stop the source of moisture. SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna Cities can clean and repair the damage caused by mold in your home or business. More important, SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna Cities has a specialty in mold remediation.
Prevent Mold in Your Mankato / Owatonna Cities Basements
SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna
SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna Cities wants to help educate others about mold:
- Mold can grow almost anywhere
- to grow, mold needs:
- above-freezing temperatures
- protein, such as in animal dander, skin cells, wood, plaster, carpet
- It grows rapidly
- It causes damages property
- It thrives in basements
If you have a small amount of mold on a dish, you can clean it. You can even throw it out. If you have a large amount of mold, however, you need a licensed professional to do the mold remediation.
SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna Cities is licensed in mold remediation. We know that the best offense against mold is a good defense.
SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna Cities suggests the following criteria for preventing mold damage in your basement:
- Elevate equipment and inventory above the floor
- Maintain humidity below 40% with a dehumidifier
- Use water-resistant materials in building/repairing the basement
- Use galvanized or stainless-steel hardware
- Repair leaky pipes
- Cover any dirt in crawlspaces. This prevents water from seeping through the ground
- Ventilate the basement
If you follow these steps, it will greatly decrease your chances of experiencing the destruction caused by mold in your home or office.
Mold and Mildew in Mankato and Owatonna
SERVPRO© of Mankato / Owatonna
SERVPRO© of Mankato / Owatonna enjoys raising mold and mildew awareness in our community. Both mold and mildew are types of fungi. Mildew is never useful, but some kinds of fungi are okay, like mushrooms (if you like mushrooms) and some molds can be useful, like penicillin. Other kinds of mold are definitely not okay and you definitely don’t want them growing inside your home or office. SERVPRO© of Mankato / Owatonna can help, if you discover something growing in your home or office that should not be there.
Education about the different kinds of mold and mildew in your home is important, and finding an industry expert to inspect it critical. SERVPRO© of Mankato / Owatonna recommends getting an inspection done. If you need assistance getting rid of the problem, please give SERVPRO© of Mankato / Owatonna a shout and we would be happy to help.
For more information about Mold and Mildew visit the following helpful link.
Does Your Mankato or Owatonna Home Have A Mold Problem?
Mold In Mankato and Owatonna.
Mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (507)-200-3700