Candles and Fire Prevention in Mankato / Owatonna
SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna Cities wants you to be safe from fire and smoke damage. Although fires from candles happen more often around the holidays, many people use candles all year round. It is so important to be careful any time you have an open flame in your home or office.
Fire Prevention is the best way to fight against fire damage or injuries.
SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna Cities offers these tips for candle safety from the National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA):
- Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can catch fire
- Don’t let children near candles
- Put out candles when leaving the room or going to bed
- Keep trees and other plants away from candles
- Make sure that candles are not near window curtains or blinds that could catch fire
- Keep lit candles in safe candle holders
- If the flame has to burn until the candles are out, keep the candles in holders that keep the flames behind glass
- If the flame has to burn until the candles are out, keep the candle holders in a sink or a metal container of water
- Do not leave children alone in a room with lit candles
- Don’t light candles in the bedroom. You might fall asleep. One third of all candle fires start in the bedroom
- If the power goes out, use flashlights instead of candles
- If someone in the home uses oxygen, do not use candles
- Fire damage from candles happens 35 times a day in the U.S.
A little caution goes a long way to protect you and your loved ones. If you have to deal with damage caused by smoke or fire from a candle, your friends at SERVPRO of Mankato / Owatonna. We are just a phone call away.