What's That Smell in My House?
Smelling something fowl in your home can be alarming and irritating. SERVPRO of Mankato/Owatonna has a few tips for identifying smells and getting rid of them. No matter what you’re smelling in your Mankato or Owatonna home, it is important to put safety first. The smell of smoke, rotten eggs, or dirty socks may be an indicator of dangerous conditions. If you smell smoke, get out of the house and call 911 as it may be a house fire.
In need of fire damage repair? Call SERVPRO of Mankato/Owatonna at 507-200-3700
The smell of rotten eggs may be caused by a sewer or natural gas leak, in which case evacuation should be considered. Gas leaks can also smell like propane, skunk, or a dead animal. Use caution if you smell something like this in your home but know that these fowl smells can have other less serious causes as well. If the smell is faint, it may just be an overflowing trash can or something the dog dragged in. If the odor is very strong, it may be best to leave the home instead of investigating.
If your home has a musty odor, like dirty socks or feet, this may be an indication of a mold problem. Mold can be harmful to your health, so if you smell mold or discover mold in your home it is important to resolve the issue promptly. Mold may not always be easily seen, so smell can be a good way of determining if you are in need of mold remediation.
Whatever the smell may be, SERVPRO of Mankato/Owatonna’s trained professionals will find the source of the odor and determine the best methods to neutralize and eliminate the odor from your home. From musty mold to lingering tobacco smells, we are here to help!