The Minnesota Thaw in April
Water Damage Repair and Restoration
Now that spring is slowly arriving, it is important to do a walk around maintenance check on all the plumbing exiting your home or business.
Some of us are fortunate to have an air-to-air exchanger installed in our homes. Most newer homes have this feature, some installed in older homes too and while it’s quite a refreshing pleasure to have, you should also be aware of any ice buildup than can occur over the winter.
HERE COMES THE MUD AND FLOOD
Spring can be muddy in Minnesota. Shoes, pets and kids can bring in a lot of mud and dirt making "Spring cleaning" an extra chore in itself.
Did you also know? Spring can be a sign to do a thorough maintenance check on your home to prevent said "Floods." It is always important to be ready for a flood. The Minnesota department of public safety HSEM Home - Spring Flooding (mn.gov) has some useful tips to be prepared for the melting of our winter snow.
Before a Flood
The following list includes action steps everyone can take to prepare for any type of flooding:
- Assemble an emergency kit: It should include provisions for you and your family to live on for a at least three days. Do not forget medications, medical equipment needs, phone chargers and pet supplies.
- Make an emergency plan: Communicate and practice that plan with your family. Choose an evacuation route. Learn about the emergency plans that have been established in your area by your state and local government.
- Get a NOAA Weather Radio: Listen for information, including advisories, watches and warnings. Watch news reports for information and sign up for text alerts.
- Prepare your home: Elevate appliances such as the furnace, water heater and electric panel. Install "check valves" to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home. Construct barriers to stop water from entering the building and seal basement walls.
- Get flood insurance: Property insurance does not typically cover flood damage and any disaster assistance will not cover all damages. Talk to your insurance provider about your policy and consider additional coverage. Flood insurance takes 30 days to go into effect, so purchase now to protect your family.
If you were too late to check these maintenance checks and perhaps are experiencing a Spring flood, don’t worry, SERVPRO of Mankato/Owatonna is just a call away to help. Call us at 507-200-3700 for fast emergency services.
Even if you’re unsure if there is damage, we have specialized equipment to check your home or business for any excess moisture. As part of the community, we are your neighbors and would be glad to be your first call for a free investigation or estimate of services.
When you call our offices, you will be greeted by one of our sincere and skilled office personnel who will ask you important questions about your specific situation. We will then, ready our crews and trucks and be on our way, “Faster to any size disaster” and prepared to make any damage, "Like it never even happened."
Franchises are independently owned and operated